I just ate two avocados for lunch. They were in that perfect-yet-fleeting moment — unbruised, soft, silky — so, really, it was a race against time, and I just had to eat them both. Anyway, it got me thinking about the increasing popularity of avocado in dishes that are not guacamole (although there’s nothing wrong with guacamole). Nature’s most decadent vegetable (Yes, I know it’s technically a fruit!) because of its rich taste and texture — and high (for a veggie) fat content, avocado is very beneficial to your health. According to the California Avocado Commission, “Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins, and folic acid. They also act as a ‘nutrient booster’ by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.” Additionally, avocado is alleged to be an aphrodisiac. Find out what OpenTable diners are saying about this good mood food in recent restaurant reviews.
* 43 North, Madison, Wisconsin: “The written menu fails entirely to describe the exceptional food. My husband and I opted to share a large salad and three small plates. Each dish was beautifully presented with surprising small flourishes, such as avocado fritters with the green salad.”
* ABC Kitchen, New York, New York: “Amazing brunch at ABC Kitchen. My wife started with the roasted carrot and avocado salad, which she loved.”
* Aqua Terra Restaurant, Fallbrook, California: “We shared the garlicky baked avocado appetizer. Fallbrook is the heart of avocado country, and this was a fine presentation.”
* Brigantine Coronado, Coronado, California: “I had the restaurant’s signature dish — swordfish with lemon avocado butter and blue cheese potato salad and vegetables. This was the best fish dish I have ever had in my life. It was so delicious; just perfect.”
* Candle 79, New York, New York: “Our appetizers were phenomenal — the warm Brussels sprout salad, beet salad ,and avocado tartare stood out.”
* Contigo, San Francisco, California: “I love this place. I find the food to be consistently outstanding. Their little toasts are perfection — the sardine/avocado/pickled onion/salt one is my favorite.”
* Eveleigh, West Hollywood: “On a 70+ degree day in LA, it was gorgeous. The food was right up our alley, too. We had the avocado toast and baked eggs, and they were outstanding. Perfect amount for sharing.”