Welcome to your monthly guide to the must-know food-world news in New York City right now. Discover the latest industry trends, the hottest restaurants to try, and more. Dine on.
With plenty of residents away on vacation, summer is considered the easiest time to score coveted dining reservations in New York City. MICHELIN just spotlighted 25 new NYC restaurants that their inspectors are eyeing as potential additions to the MICHELIN Guide this year. Snag a table at some, such as Mexican seafood spot Bar Tulix and New American stalwart Gotham, and enjoy a meal at 2022’s newest hotspots before it becomes a serious challenge.
While you’re at dinner, it’s likely everyone around you will be recapping The Bear, FX’s new high-octane restaurant drama starring Jeremy Allen White as a fine-dining chef taking over his family’s sandwich counter in Chicago. It’s a food show that will leave you hungry—but it truly stands out for its unflinching look at the stressful reality of restaurant work.
Here’s some other food news you don’t want to miss this month:
- The World’s 50 Best List 2022 named several winners in NYC including Atomix (#33), Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare (#63), Cosme (#69), Blue Hill at Stone Barns (#74), and Estela (#79).
- New Yorkers who nabbed spots on the new 50 Next List—a lineup that celebrates those changing the food world by the organization behind The World’s 50 Best Restaurants—include flavor scientist Arielle Johnson, activist Zacarías González, and innovators and eco-warriors Gregory Constantine and Stafford Sheehan.
- It’s New York City Restaurant Week, aka Restaurant Month—hundreds of spots across the five boroughs will offer special two-course lunches for $30 and three-course dinners for $45-$60. The five-week festivities run through August 21. Find tables at participating restaurants on OpenTable.
Before you go, these are the NYC restaurants to check out this month:
- Nostalgic, 1970s-inspired diner fare at Peachy Keen. Book now
- Mediterranean plates—with unbeatable Hudson views—at Mezze on the River. Book now
- Swanky Italian seafood at Mollusca. Book now
- Agave cocktails and street tacos at Mermaid Mexicana. Book now
- Inventive New American plates, plus pay-what-you-wish Sunday dinner at HAGS.
- A taste of Sicily in Little Italy’s Bar Pasquale.
- Old-word cocktails and French-accented bar bites at Williamsburg’s Deux Chats.