Welcome to your monthly guide to the must-know food-world news in Los Angeles. Discover the latest industry trends, hottest restaurants to try, and more. Dine on.
There’s never really a bad time for al fresco dining in Los Angeles, but a new crop of restaurants with enticing patio spaces are making it all the more appealing for a summer meal outdoors right now.
Historic Santa Monica hotel Casa del Mar just unveiled a palm-tree lined beachside bistro, Patio del Mar, that serves a seafood-focused menu that’s best paired with a summer spritz. At downtown’s chic Pine & Crane, pan-fried buns, beef rolls, and other Taiwanese dishes are served on a spacious, shaded patio that looks out onto a small park. For Mediterranean fare, head to Mandolin Taverna, which Eater calls “a breezy Greek patio hangout.” Located in the garden of downtown’s Soho House, the lush restaurant serves mezze plates of baked feta and grilled octopus under a canopy of trees and string lights.
And with that patio season is officially in full swing. Enjoy a nice meal out!
Here’s some other food news you don’t want to miss this month:
- Los Angeles’ first vegan butcher shop has arrived in Highland Park.
- Long Beach’s dining scene is getting a boost courtesy farm-to-table restaurant Chez Bacchus, where food is paired with sustainable wines.
- The Los Angeles Times named Wat Thai Temple the best Thai food destination in the city right now.
- Soul food Sunday dinners are the highlight at the newly opened Bernie’s in Culver City.
And before you go, these are the LA restaurants to check out this month, all bookable on OpenTable:
- Multi-regional Italian food in a warehouse setting at BRERA restaurant. Book now
- Latin, Italian, and Korean-influenced dishes combine at Marlou DTLA. Book now
- Beloved Korean steakhouse Daedo Sikdang now has an outpost in Koreatown. Book now
- Partake in al fresco Italian brunch and a little retail therapy at Fred Segal’s Mauro Cafe. Book now
Kristin Braswell is a journalist and founder of CrushGlobal Travel, a company that customizes travel guides and authentic experiences around the world.