The second annual Charlie Awards were held on Sunday, November 11, 2012, in Minneapolis at the Pantages Theatre. A celebration in recognition of the exceptional contributions of the Twin Cities metro area restaurant, food and beverage industry, nearly 200 local restaurants participated in this year’s awards. The 2012 Charlie Awards honorees include:
• Lifetime Achievement – Lenny Russo, Heartland Restaurant and Farm Direct Market
• Outstanding Chef – Doug Flicker, Piccolo
• Outstanding Restaurant Design – Bachelor Farmer
• Outstanding Bartender – Johnny Michaels, La Belle Vie
• Outstanding Neighbor – Randy Stanley, Parasole (Burger Jones, Chino Latino, Good Earth, Manny’s Steakhouse, Mozza Mia, Muffuletta, Pittsburgh Blue, Salut Bar Américain, and Uptown Cafeteria)
• Outstanding Restaurant Item – Masu Sushi & Robata’s Masu Roll
The Charlie Awards are named after the legendary restaurant, Charlie’s Café Exceptionale, which was a mainstay in downtown Minneapolis until the 1980s. The Charlie Awards were created to recognize the outstanding contributions that our metro area food and restaurant industry to ensure a diverse, vibrant and creative lifestyle and economy. The Charlies are the inspiration of Minnesota’s own culinary expert and James Beard award-winning food journalist, Sue Zelickson.
Congratulations to all the nominees and honorees on your achievements.