In celebration of our country’s progressive food and dining culture, we are pleased to honor the 2014 Diners’ Choice Award winners for the Top 100 Fit for Foodies Restaurants in America. These awards reflect the combined opinions of more than 5 million restaurant reviews submitted by verified OpenTable diners for more than 20,000 restaurants in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Newer eateries rule the list, with the majority of winners opening in the last three years. More than 20 were founded in 2012 alone, while 15 launched in 2013, and six debuted as recently as 2014. Also, 14 of the honorees have women as executive chefs. American fare is overwhelmingly popular, but French and Italian restaurants are common among the honorees. Other popular cuisines include Japanese, Spanish, Middle Eastern, modern European, tapas/small plates, and vegetarian.
Showcasing restaurants with unique menus, easygoing ambience, and passionate chefs who have a “source local, cook global” approach, the complete list includes award winners in 29 states, including Aviary in Portland, Odd Duck in Austin, and Vedge in Philadelphia. Restaurants in Portland and Philadelphia collectively account for almost 25 percent of the list. California has the greatest number of winners with 14, followed closely by Oregon and Pennsylvania with 13 each. New York has eight honorees, while Colorado, Massachusetts, and Washington all have five, and Illinois has four. Minnesota, Missouri, and Texas each have three winning restaurants. Arizona, Delaware, Indiana, Maine, North Carolina, and Virginia, respectively, have two award winners. Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, and Wisconsin are also represented.
Whether you’re traveling or keeping things local with a staycation, your summer just got a bit more affordable, thanks to summer restaurant weeks. Here’s what’s coming your way in July. Start booking today to reserve your spot to save, and check back for additional offers in other cities.
* Toronto Summerlicious starts this week. Grab a table for $15, $20 or $25 lunches + $25, $35 or $45 dinners, July 4-20.
* Say ‘Oui!’ to NYC French Restaurant Week. Celebrate the wines of Roussillon and Bastille Day with special lunch and dinner menus at $17.89, $35.78 (includes beverage), and $178.90 (for two or four people including a bottle of wine), July 7-14.
* Let the good times roll during Restaurant Week Baton Rouge. Enjoy gourmet prix-fixe menus for $15-$35, July 14-19.
* dineLA is only two weeks away. Take advantage of $15, $20 or $25 lunches and $25, $35 or $45 dinners, July 14-27.
* Happy days are here again with University City Dining Days in Philadelphia. Feast on $15, $25, or $35 dinners, July 17-27.
* Queens Feast Charlotte Restaurant Week commences on July 18. Make a reservation for $30 three-course dinners, July 18-27.
* Win tickets to the San Diego Bay Food and Wine Festival Passion for Fusion cooking class on November 21. Enter today!
* The 2014 Chicago Michelin stars have been announced. Find out which restaurants earned this top honor.
* Congratulations to the winners of the 2013 Charlie Awards. Learn out which food professionals and restaurants took top honors in the Twin Cities.
* Trending on recent OpenTable restaurant reviews? Smoke.
* Dine Around Seattle is happening now. Enjoy $15 lunches and $30 dinners through November 27.
* Restaurant Week Hawaii starts today. Don’t miss special three-course gourmet meals through November 24.