Rhubarb is on the rise in my garden — and at OpenTable restaurants. A springtime favorite, rhubarb is as diverse as it is delicious, finding its way into pies, pickles, and preserves. Two facts about rhubarb that intrigue me: Its stems are edible, though its leaves are poisonous (!), and the word rhubarb is slang for argument, something I learned from the great Charles M. Schulz in his Peanuts strip. We hope you find some of this seasonal ingredient on your plate soon!
* Accanto, Portland, Oregon: “We always enjoy Accanto. The food is great, but the way they handle the small details surprises and delights us — a few rhubarb pickles with the pate. Rhubarb? Yes.”
* Bishop’s, Vancouver, British Columbia: ” A delicious showcase of regional delights. We were thoroughly impressed. The complimentary candied rhubarb gelee was a perfect way to end our meal since we were too full to order dessert.”
* The Dorrance, Providence, Rhode Island: “The vegetables that came with the meal were unique and tasty (tiny lovely beets, rhubarb, unusual greens).”
* Garces Trading Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: “The food is absolutely outstanding! Try the poached rhubarb on the weekend brunch menu — a unique treat you won’t find anywhere else. Cannot recommend the food enough!”
* Girl & the Goat, Chicago, Illinois: “We shared duck, rhubarb bread (bread made with duck fat and side of duck fat andrhubarb preserves), oysters roasted with bacon, cauliflower sprinkled with spices, pine nuts, and mint, diver scallops with duck confit (and green apple, I think). All were excellent but, the best (TG&TG specialty) was the pig face.”
* Girl & the Goat, Chicago, Illinois: “Our rhubarb dessert was a perfect end to the best dining experience imaginable.”
* Icehouse, Minneapolis, Minnesota: “The other really notable thing about this restaurant was the dessert menu, which is usually forgotten or an afterthought at most new ‘foodie’ restaurants. But here, it’s just as interesting as the food menu, with items like buttermilk and cardamom pie and rhubarb and pink peppercorn sundaes (Both were fantastic by the way!). I would highly recommend this place!”