Watermelon is an American tradition when it comes to beating the heat — and celebrating the sweetest treats of the season. There are many varieties, and just as many ways to enjoy it. From cocktails and pickles to salads and soups, find out what OpenTable diners are saying about watermelon this summer.
* 1833, Monterey, California: “The watermelon/cucumber/scallion appertif let us know right off the bat that our mouths were in for a treat, and neither the appetizers, the main courses nor the desserts disappointed in the slightest!”
* Barndiva, Healdsburg, California: “We loved the infusions — who knew a little cube of watermelon infused with lemon verbena could be so wonderful?”
* Creo Restaurant, Albany, New York: “Special app was a gazpacho soup. Diced tomatoes and mint leaves chopped, with watermelon puree. Fantastic spot for a summer time starter.”
* DOSA on Filmore, San Francisco, California: “My husband’s favorite is the vada sambhar dish, and I love their watermelon paneer salad.”
* Due Amici, Columbus, Ohio: “Best was our seasonal salad with watermelon and beets and the lightest of dressings to let the local foods shine. Our family and friends love this place.”
* Fat Canary, Williamsburg, Virginia: “The watermelon nehi was a wonderful cocktail.”
* Marc Forgione, New York, New York: “I enjoyed my peekytoe crab appetizer bathing in a light watermelon soup.”