High spring is serious salad season. Some of the greatest greens are best enjoyed right now, including arugula. Its delicate leaves and a pleasant peppery flavor make this a great complement to sweet and savory ingredients. Also called rocket, arugula is winning rave reviews from OpenTable diners.
* The Bay House, Naples, Florida: “The BLT shellfish salad was outstanding with large chunks of lobster and crab on a perfectly prepared fried green tomato and just the right amount of peppery arugula.”
* Boulevard Five72, Kenilworth, New Jersey: “Arugula salad with grilled peaches and prosciutto was excellent.”
* Chesapeake Inn Restaurant, Chesapeake City, Maryland: “The berry and arugula salad wonderful.”
* Cheval Blanc, Pasadena, California: “The crispy duck confit salad was incredible. Our server suggested the flavors of the frisee, arugula, crisp shallots, and crispy skin buttery meat of the duck worked extremely well together — boy was she ever so right. WOW.”
* First & Hope, Los Angeles, California: “So, the beet salad is to die for, not only for the beets but mainly the arugula salad dressing on top — not to mention the slab of soft cheese under that.”
* The Girl and the Fig, Sonoma, California: “Delicious food! Can’t say enough about the fig and arugula salad.”
* Kaya, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: “Asparagus and arugula salad with serranos and walnuts was delicious.”