Fall is in full effect around the U.S. and while I thought I might be sad to bid heirloom tomato season farewell, but one bite of a dish with butternut squash makes it easy to move on. Rich in fiber and essential vitamins, such as A, C, and E, butternut squash has long been popular in soups and stews. And, chefs are getting even more inventive with this diverse ingredient, tucking it into tacos, sprinkling it atop pizzas, and letting it shine as a simple side dish. Find out what OpenTable diners are saying about butternut squash in recent reviews.
* Ad Hoc, Yountville, California: “Veal chops were cooked to perfection with a wonderful bounty of fall veggies. The roasted butternut squash gratin was heavenly, sweet, and creamy with a note of tarragon.”
* Adour at the St. Regis, Washington, D.C.: “A pocket of Paris dining in DC! The butternut squash soufflé alone is reason to go again and again.”
* Ai Fiori, New York, New York: “My favorite dish was the pasta course of veal with a butternut squash sauce and my boyfriendss was his fried soft shell crab appetizer. I would highly recommend this resurant for a special occasion!”
* Bearfoot Bistro, Whistler, British Columbia: “Although hard to pick, our favorites were the octopus appy, the butternut squash main, and the cheesecake.”
* Boitson’s, Kingston, New York: “Special butternut squash fritter appetizer was amazing.”
* Davis Street Tavern, Portland, Oregon: “My salad was a chef-inspired combination of arugula,butternut squash, pomegranate, and a smoked tomato/basil dressing. It was just heaven! This dish had pleasant offsetting notes of bitter versus sweet in an innovative combination.”