There are thousands of reviews on OpenTable, but sometimes one really stands out — as is the case with this charming review. This diner visited the Black Bass Hotel in Lumberville, Pennsylvania, 50 years (!) after his very first visit, during which he proposed to his companion. A half a century later, the pair are still going strong — as is the Black Bass Hotel. Congratulations to both on many years of excellence.
Do you want to win a trip for six? Of course you do! So does @BrassyLibrarian, who shared her Vacation Supremacy giveaway entry tweet. Here’s the deal: You and five friends fly out to the destination of your choice, stay three nights in swank digs, and indulge in delicious food and drink, all courtesy of AirBnB, UrbanDaddy, and OpenTable. Entering is as easy as sharing your email address and zip code; you can increase your chances of winning by sharing the contest with friends. This will also probably increase your chances of getting invited on the trip if one of those friends wins! Read more here. Then, enter here through July 29, 2013!
Happenings on and around OpenTable…
* Save 20% on tickets to Taste of the Nation South Florida on July 25. Purchase tickets today.
* Attend the 8th Annual Taste of the Twin Cities Originals on July 25. Learn more here.
* Take advantage of a 15% discount for Taste of the Nation Orlando tickets on August 10. Buy yours now.
* OpenTable for Windows 8 is out! Find out about our latest app.
* Cheers to the winners of the 2013 Diners’ Choice Awards for the Top 100 Hottest Restaurant Bars. Find out if your fave is on the list.
* We got a visit from San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee. Peep the pics from Tech Tuesday!
* Foodspotting 4 for iPhone has hit the app store! Check out the shiny new “Food Camera” for iPhone to capture even more mouthwatering pics.
* Toronto Summerlicious is on. Enjoy $15, $20, or $25 lunches and $25, $35, or $45 dinners, July 5-21.
* Allez! New York City French Restaurant Week is here. Book now for amazing prix-fixe $17.89 meals at the city’s finest French restaurants, July 8-14.
* Mpls.St.Paul Magazine’s Restaurant Week is back in action this summer. Take advantage of $10-$20 lunches and $15-$30 dinners, July 14-19.
Have you shaken off the long holiday weekend yet? Neither have I, and it’s thanks, in part, to the delicious lobster rolls I ate. I am literally having a lobster roll letdown, as though every tasty bite wasn’t enough. Feeling it was part of my patriotic duty, I was sure to try both styles — the Connecticut lobster roll, served with melted butter, and the Maine-style lobster roll, which is made with mayonnaise and celery. They’re both, obviously, delicious (Because, hello, sweet lobster meat plus bread!). However, as someone who could eat Duke’s mayo straight out of the jar, it practically pains me to admit that the buttery elegance of the Connecticut-style lobster roll is my favorite. OpenTable diners held their own quests for the very best lobster rolls during their eating adventures recently. Find out which restaurants’ rolls are receiving rave reviews.
* Atlanta Fish Market, Atlanta, Georgia: “Since lobster is in season and one of the specials, we tried the lobster roll. It was fantastic, and I highly recommend it.”
* Barking Crab, Boston, Massachusetts: “By far the best lobster roll I’ve had. The ‘naked’ lobster roll is a fresh-cracked lobster dressed with melted butter on a grilled hot dog roll and served with French fries, coleslaw, and a pickle. Perfect. Don’t know that I’ll ever find a better lobster roll than this! So good. Simple and delicious.”
* Castle Hill Inn, Newport, Rhode Island: “My girlfriend order the lobster roll, which, I have to say, was huge. It was made with creme fraiche instead of mayo, which she enjoyed, with plenty of lobster.”
* Central Park Boathouse, New York, New York: “The lobster roll was perfect. Huge pieces of sweet lobster tossed with a bit of mayo with bits of crunchy celery, lined in a soft bun. Absolutely delicious.”
* DANTE, Tremont, Ohio: “Every bite was delicious. Of particular note — the lobster rolls with a creamy buttery sauce.”
* The Diving Horse, Avalon, New Jersey: “A new addition to the menu (since I was there last fall) is the lobster roll appetizer, and it is out of this world. Warm roll, packed with lobster, simply outstanding.”
* GT Fish and Oyster, Chicago, Illinois: This place is simply amazing – from the amazing mixologists at the bar to the sea-salt caramel and banana dessert – AND the best lobster roll west of Pawtucket. It’s one of the most exciting seafood restaurants I have had the pleasure to visit (and I was born and raised on the shoreline of New England).” Continue Reading