It’s National Sushi Day! How fitting that this cuisine has its own day as it has become something of a staple in the diets of most American foodies. It can straddle both sides of the nutritional fence — clean and green (hand rolls packed with veggies and brown rice) or fatty and decadent (Hello, foie gras, mayo, and uni!), meaning there’s something for all comers. We’re celebrating the day by ordering sushi, taking inspiration from what diners are saying about the inventive and delightful sushi rolls that have them raving in recent restaurant reviews.
* Blowfish Sushi, San Francisco, California: ”The food was divine. We ordered a vegetarian roll that was served warm and was outstanding. The shishito peppers melt in your mouth, and they are topped with thin sliced caramelized leeks! I have never tasted leeks in a better form.”
* The Bluefish-Greenville Ave., Dallas, Texas: “We drive from OKC to eat dinner at Blue Fish. The service is always the best and we’ve never had a roll there that we didn’t like. Our favorite is the rainforest.”
* Hapa Sushi Grill and Sake Bar Lodo, Denver, Colorado: ”We loved the multiple orgasm roll and the rock ‘n roll spicy shrimp roll!”
* Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi, Smithtown, New York: ”You *have* to order some type of special sushi; the insignia roll is a favorite!”
* Irori Sushi, Marina Del Ray, California: ”The blue crab and salmon roll is the best sushi roll I have ever tasted!”
* Katsuya Hollywood SBE, Los Angeles, California: ”I had blue fin sashimi, and a version of a spicy California roll with seared ahi on top; my daughter had a roll with shrimp on top — all totally amazing! As a fan of Food Network, you always hear them talk about how in a really good dish, you can taste all the elements without anything overpowering it — this was the first time I have ever had that experience (and I just turned 50!).”
* The Olde Pink House Restaurant, Savannah, Georgia: ”I tried southern sushi, which was a fried roll filled with shrimp and grits…brilliant.”