With Valentine’s Day almost a week away, we are pleased to release our rankings of the 25 Most Romantic Cities in the United States. While we may typically think of our largest cities as magnets for romance seekers, our analysis revealed that romance thrives in cities and communities of all sizes. In order to provide a ranking of cities where romantic dining is inherently part of the culture, the OpenTable Most Romantic Cities Index was calculated using three variables: the percentage of restaurants rated “romantic” according to OpenTable diner reviews; the percentage of tables seated for two; and the percentage of people who dined out for Valentine’s Day last year.
According to a new survey of OpenTable diners, restaurants are poised to be busy with diners celebrating love not only on Thursday, February 14, but on the weekend following Valentine’s Day. OpenTable diners also indicated that they plan to celebrate love in a big way with a projected check average of $139, which is 63 percent more than the typical OpenTable check average of $85 per couple. The survey results also provided a peek into dating habits and trends related to the busiest holiday for dining out.
One of the biggest dining trend takeaways with this survey was diners indicating that, rather than extensive tasting menus, shared plated, or prix-fixe offerings, they wanted to enjoy a classic, a la carte, three-course meal. Additional reveals include:
Recent celebrity sightings at OpenTable restaurants…
Happenings on and around OpenTable…
* We’re celebrating the addition of Foodspotting to the OpenTable family! Learn more.
* There are just two more days to for restaurants to claim their FREE mobile site. Get yours today!
* Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters program was featured on NBC News. Watch it now.
* Asheville Restaurant Week: $15 to-course lunches and $30 three-course dinners, February 1-7. Book a table.
* Baltimore Restaurant Week: $20.13 or $30.13 dinners and $15.13 lunches, January 25-February 3. Book a table.
* Chicago Restaurant Week: $22 lunches and $33/$44 dinners, February 1-10. Book a table.
* dineLA: $15, $20, or $25 lunches and $25, $35, or $45 dinners, January 21-February 1. Book a table.