With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, love is in the air. A 2013 survey by American Express revealed that 6 million people were planning or anticipating a marriage proposal on Valentine’s Day, and we imagine that number will be similar for 2014. Since it is one of the most popular dining holidays, we’re betting there will be a lot of folks popping the question in restaurants this weekend. Find out how the hospitality professionals at restaurants throughout the OpenTable network have helped diners ask for their beloved’s hand in marriage in the last few weeks in these recent OpenTable restaurant reviews. And, if you’ve gotten engaged at a restaurant, share your story in our comments section, on Facebook, or Google+.
* Astor Court, Atlanta, Georgia: “The staff at Astor Court could not have been more helpful in assisting in my proposal. They were friendly and accommodating, even adding some of their own suggestions to make the surprise more romantic. I went during a weekday, so it was not too busy which was perfect for us. The food was excellent as well, capping off a good night!”
* Due Amici, Columbus, Ohio: “The food and service were fantastic. I surprised my girlfriend with a proposal and ring, and the Due Amici staff helped to make it a big surprise. She couldn’t help but say yes.”
* Geneva Chophouse, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin: “I’ve been there a half dozen times on my own. This last time, I took my girlfriend and proposed. I called ahead and left a message asking for a table with a view to propose. The whole staff knew and they were excited and accommodating. I was very nervous throughout dinner, and the manager came over and asked us how our meal was and she put her hand on my shoulder and calmed me down! It was beautiful — the view, the restaurant, and the proposal! I am forever grateful to all of the staff that evening.”
* Gracie’s, Providence, Rhode Island: “Many thanks to the staff of Gracie’s, who always go above and beyond, but particularly this night when everyone (but my then-girlfriend) knew that it was a big night for us — proposal night. I had made arrangements with staff beforehand, and everything was set and ready for our arrival. Throughout the night, we were congratulated by staff and patrons alike, and the staff were quite cognizant of the fact that my fiancée was making calls to her family and friends and gave us our space. I don’t think we ordered until an hour after we sat down!”
* Havana Central, Garden City, New York: “I called after I made my reservation and spoke to William, the manager. I told him that my then-boyfriend’s birthday was on January 20th, and I wanted to propose to him. William and my waiter, Zane, as well as the other staff were WONDERFUL!!! Everything was planned out the way I pictured it and my fiancé said YES!!!!! Everyone at Havana Central did a great job, and I can’t wait to set up my Valentines day function there with my friends!!!”
* LA Prime, Los Angeles, California: “The staff at LA Prime assisted me in proposing to my now-beloved fiancée. With their help I was able to successfully surprise her, and she said yes. Both steaks were delicious, ambience was great, and service was very good. May return for our first wedding anniversary. Thank you.”
* Nicollet Island Inn, Minneapolis, Minnesota: “I selected Nicollet Island Inn based on what friends had described to me. I wanted a special place to propose to the one I love and it turned out perfectly! I requested a rose on our table before we arrived, and it was a very beautiful rose. We had very nice dinner of roast duck and Alaskan salmon in a quiet booth with a great bottle of wine — Lote 44 Malbec from Argentina. We reminisced about our first meeting and shared our thoughts and desires for our future. At dessert, I pulled out the ring, got down on one knee, and popped the question! She said yes! They brought glasses of Champagne for us to celebrate! We will cherish this night.”
* Oceanaire Seafood Room, San Diego, California: “I was in San Diego for a long weekend to propose to my girlfriend and told the staff ahead of time under the comments section on Open Table. They responded, and we got a great table and waiter. The food was really good and all the staff that knew congratulated us. It was a special night at a memorable venue — no complaints…”
* ON20, Hartford, Connecticut: “The food was amazing. W ordered the nine-course tasting menu. The food was unexpectedly good. There were not a single course that disappointed us or that we wanted more of. The Chef (Jeffery) did a tremendous job, making the food artistic and delicious. All the staff there were friendly, attentive, and make you feel welcomed. With the help of the staff, I managed to propose to my girlfriend with huge success. It’s a great place to go for romantic settings and special occasions. Will be going back there many times in the future and recommend to friends.”
* Perry’s Steakhouse & Grille, Austin, Texas: “Everything at Perry’s was amazing. The wine selection is very outstanding. The food was very delicious. After eating our dinner, I saw it was the perfect opportunity to propose to my girlfriend at the time, who is now my fiancée. I owe it all to Perry’s for the help of making our night amazing.”
* Redstone American Grill, Marlton, New Jersey: “I always knew Redstone had good quality food and drink because we go twice a month! Saturday, February 1, 2014, will always be memorable because it was there at Redstone that I proposed to my girlfriend, and she accepted when I placed the beautiful ring on her finger. So I say, thanks Redstone for your wonderful staff and great waitress, Carol. It was a beautiful event!”
* SASSI, Scottsdale, Arizona: “From the beautiful entryway and views of Pinnacle Peak to the immediate seating for our reservations and the over-the-top amazingly well-prepared bass to the wonderful expertise by the wine steward, Sassi brought together the most amazing experience and romantic setting to propose to my beautiful lady!! Everything was exceptional. We were seated in a fairly private room with a fireplace by request; from the second we were seated until we left the restaurant, it was the perfect experience and ambience for a proposal evening. I have already told many people about this romantic restaurant, and I will be back many times again; it is our new fave restaurant, and we eat out at least two nights weekly !”
* Yamashiro, Hollywood, California: “In addition to the great food, I have to commend the management for assisting in making my marriage proposal a huge success! It was indeed a memorable moment that was executed to perfection and without the assistance of the staff and the great ambience of Yamashiro, this would not have been possible!”
Looking for even more places to pop the question on Valentine’s Day? Check out the 2014 Diners’ Choice Award winners for the Top 100 Most Romantic Restaurants in America.