The judges made good on their preview threat of sending two cheftestants home after an astonishingly lame showing during the Elimination Challenge. Also, sadly, no one took home $10K, not even Bart and Sheldon for their clever salad.
1. Producers: If you’re going to do a breakfast-on-a-stick challenge, or an anything-on-a-stick challenge, you must have Matt Armendariz as a guest judge. He wrote the book on food on a stick. Literally.
2. Eliza got engaged at Pike Place Market.
3. The word artisan is grossly misused in this episode. No offense, rose-water-jelly-makers.
4. The men are more back-biting and intolerant of one another this year than in seasons past. Josh, in partick, is extra grumpy with his fellow XYs, but the women, while not always simpatico, seem to choose and use their words far more carefully.
5. Having said that, Josh has a mega man-crush on Stefan. Josh also plans to win, which I don’t think will happen. Sorry, bro.
6. If I had gotten truffled popcorn as an ingredient to highlight in the EC, I just would have served it alongside an ice-cold vodka martini. And, I’d have won.
7. Playing it safe will get you sent home. Just ask CJ and Tyler.
8. Playing nice with your partner will almost get you sent home. Just ask John and Josh.
9. There is, apparently, a birthday curse in which cheftestants who have celebrated a birthday on or near an EC day have been sent home. Stefan hoped to avoid this. And he did, barely.
10. Kuniko is owning Last Chance Kitchen, just as I suspected she would.