Our friends at the James Beard Foundation have released their list of nominees for the 2011 James Beard Foundation Awards, otherwise known as the “Oscars” of the food world. Congratulations — and good luck — to all the nominees and honorees. Use the links below to reserve at the nominated restaurants to select your own set of winners. And, remember, you — Yes, you! — can dine at the James Beard House. Learn more, here!
Best New Restaurant
A restaurant opened in 2010 that already displays excellence in food, beverage, and service and is likely to have a significant impact on the industry in years to come.
Outstanding Chef Award
A working chef in America whose career has set national industry standards and who has served as an inspiration to other food professionals. Candidates must have been working as chefs for at least the past 5 years.
* José Andrés, minibar, Washington, D.C.
* Gary Danko, Restaurant Gary Danko, San Francisco, CA
* Suzanne Goin, Lucques, Los Angeles, CA
* Paul Kahan, Blackbird, Chicago, IL
* Charles Phan, The Slanted Door, San Francisco, CA
Outstanding Pastry Chef Award
A chef or baker who prepares desserts, pastries, or breads and who serves as a national standard-bearer for excellence. Candidates must have been pastry chefs or bakers for at least the past 5 years.
* Joanne Chang, Flour Bakery + Café, Boston, MA
* Patrick Fahy, Blackbird, Chicago
* Dahlia Narvaez, Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles, CA
* Angela Pinkerton, Eleven Madison Park, New York, NY
* Mindy Segal, Mindy’s Hot Chocolate, Chicago, IL
Outstanding Restaurant Award
A restaurant in the United States that serves as a national standardbearer for consistent quality and excellence in food, atmosphere, and service. Candidates must have been in operation for at least 10 or more consecutive years.
Outstanding Restaurateur Award
A working restaurateur who sets high national standards in restaurant operations and entrepreneurship. Candidates must have been in the restaurant business for at least 10 years. Candidates must not have been nominated for a James Beard Foundation chef award in the past 10 years.
* Bruce Bromberg and Eric Bromberg, Blue Ribbon Restaurants, New York, NY
* Tom Douglas, Dahlia Bakery, Dahlia Lounge, Etta’s, Lola, Palace Kitchen, Seatown Seabar & Rotisserie, and Serious Pie, Seattle, WA
* Pat Kuleto, Boulevard, Epic Roasthouse, Farallon, Jardinière, Martini House, Nick’s Cove, and Waterbar, San Francisco, CA
* Richard Melman, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, Chicago, IL
* Phil Suarez, ABC Kitchen, Gigino Trattoria, Gigino Wagner Park, Jean Georges, JoJo, J&G Steakhouse, The Mark Restaurant by Jean Georges, Mercer Kitchen, Perry St, Pipa, Spice Market, wd~50, and others (various cities)
Outstanding Service Award
A restaurant that demonstrates high standards of hospitality and service. Candidates must have been in operation for at least the past 5 years.
Outstanding Wine Service Award
A restaurant that displays and encourages excellence in wine service through a well-presented wine list, a knowledgeable staff, and efforts to educate customers about wine. Candidates must have been in operation for at least 5 years.
Rising Star Chef of the Year Award
A chef age 30 or younger who displays an impressive talent and who is likely to have a significant impact on the industry in years to come.
* Aaron London, Ubuntu, Napa, CA
* Thomas McNaughton, flour + water, San Francisco, CA
* Gabriel Rucker, Le Pigeon, Portland, OR
* Christina Tosi, Momofuku Milk Bar, New York, NY
* Sue Zemanick, Gautreau’s, New Orleans, LA
Best Chefs in America
Chefs who have set new or consistent standards of excellence in their respective regions. Each candidate may be employed by any kind of dining establishment and must have been a working chef for at least the past 5 years. The 3 most recent years must have been spent in the region where the chef is presently working.
Best Chef: Great Lakes (IL, IN, MI, OH)
* Michael Carlson, Schwa, Chicago, IL
* Curtis Duffy, Avenues at the Peninsula, Chicago, IL
* Bruce Sherman, North Pond, Chicago, IL
* Paul Virant, Vie, Western Springs, IL
* Alex Young, Zingerman’s Roadhouse, Ann Arbor, MI
Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic (DC, DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA)
* Cathal Armstrong, Restaurant Eve, Alexandria, VA
* Johnny Monis, Komi, Washington, D.C.
* Peter Pastan, Obelisk, Washington, D.C.
* Maricel Presilla, Cucharamama, Hoboken, NJ
* Michael Solomonov, Zahav, Philadelphia, PA
Best Chef: Midwest (IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD, WI)
* Justin Aprahamian, Sanford, Milwaukee, WI
* Isaac Becker, 112 Eatery, Minneapolis, MN
* Colby Garrelts, Bluestem, Kansas City, MO
* Tory Miller, L’Etoile, Madison, WI
* Lenny Russo, Heartland, St. Paul, MN
Best Chef: Northeast (CT, MA, ME, NJ, NY state, RI, VT)
* Tim Cushman, o ya, Boston, MA
* Krista Kern Desjarlais, Bresca, Portland, ME
* Gerry Hayden, The North Fork Table & Inn, Southold, NY
* Matt Jennings, La Laiterie, Providence, RI
* Tony Maws, Craigie On Main, Cambridge, MA
* Eric Warnstedt, Hen of the Wood, Waterbury, VT
Best Chef: Northwest (AK, ID, MT, WA, WY)
* Matt Dillon, Sitka & Spruce, Seattle, WA
* Christopher Israel, Grüner, Portland, OR
* Andy Ricker, Pok Pok, Portland, OR
* Ethan Stowell, Staple & Fancy Mercantile, Seattle, WA
* Cathy Whims, Nostrana, Portland, OR
Best Chef Pacific (CA, HI)
* Michael Cimarusti, Providence, Los Angeles, CA
* Christopher Kostow, The Restaurant at Meadowood, St. Helena, CA
* Daniel Patterson, COI, San Francisco, CA
* Richard Reddington, Redd, Yountville, CA
* Michael Tusk, Quince, San Francisco, CA
Best Chef: South (AL, AR, FL, LA, MS)
* Zach Bell, Café Boulud at the Brazilian Court, Palm Beach, FL
* John Harris, Lilette, New Orleans, LA
* Christopher Hastings, Hot and Hot Fish Club, Birmingham, AL
* Tory McPhail, Commander’s Palace, New Orleans, LA
* Stephen Stryjewski, Cochon, New Orleans, LA
Best Chef: Southeast (GA, KY, NC, SC, TN, WV)
* Hugh Acheson, Five and Ten, Athens, GA
* Craig Deihl, Cypress, Charleston, SC
* John Fleer, Canyon Kitchen at Lonesome Valley, Cashiers, NC
* Linton Hopkins, Restaurant Eugene, Atlanta, GA
* Edward Lee, 610 Magnolia, Louisville, KY
* Andrea Reusing, Lantern, Chapel Hill, NC
Best Chef: Southwest (AZ, CO, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT)
* Bruce Auden, Biga on the Banks, San Antonio, TX
* Bryan Caswell, Reef, Houston, TX
* Saipin Chutima, Lotus of Siam, Las Vegas, NV
* Tyson Cole, Uchi, Austin, TX
* Ryan Hardy, Montagna at the Little Nell, Aspen, CO
2011 James Beard Foundation Who’s Who of Food & Beverage in America inductees
This honor is awarded to individuals in the U.S. food and beverage industry who have made significant and lasting achievements and contributions to their profession.
* Jonathan Gold, Writer, LA Weekly, Los Angeles, CA
* Lee Jones, Farmer/ Owner, Chef’s Garden, Huron, OH
* Charles Phan, Chef/Owner, The Slanted Door, San Francisco, CA
* Frank Stitt, Chef/Owner, Highlands Bar and Grill, Birmingham, AL
* Nick Valenti, CEO, Patina Restaurant Group, New York, NY
2011 James Beard Foundation Humanitarian of the Year
The Humanitarian of the Year award is given to an individual or organization working in the realm of food who has given selflessly and worked tirelessly to better the lives of others and society at large.